Knife attack suspect loitered outside Guangzhou train station for two hours, cameras reveal

Man held for knife rampage at station spent two hours waiting before Kunming train arrived

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 08 May, 2014, 4:36am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 13 May, 2014, 12:49pm

The suspect in Tuesday’s Guangzhou Railway Station knife rampage was seen wearing a red tennis cap and waiting outside the station for two hours before launching his attack, according to police sources.

The third such attack at train stations on the mainland in the past two months left at least six people injured.

In Guangzhou, the train station in Yuexiu district resumed normal operations yesterday.

According to a brief statement released by the local police on Tuesday, only one suspect was involved.  However, according to a source close to local police, three  other suspects fled the scene and were still at large. The detained suspect has refused to reveal his name.

After examination of surveillance video, the source said the footage showed the suspect squatting between two convenience stores on Huanshi Dong Road on the western side of the railway plaza for nearly two hours before the K366 train from Kunming arrived.

The source added that the suspect was wearing a red tennis cap and a white shirt. He was spotted meeting up with one partner who appeared in the crowd from the southern end of the railway plaza and two others from the northern end.

“Upon meeting up, the suspect was seen taking off his red tennis cap, revealing a white hat beneath it,” the source said.

Meanwhile, security has been stepped up at major train stations throughout the mainland.

In a high-profile gesture designed to reassure the public that the government was taking security seriously, the public security minister and two deputy  ministers visited railway stations in big cities including Beijing and Shanghai on Tuesday night.

Hours after Tuesday’s attack, Public Security Minister Guo Shengkun visited Changsha South Railway Station in Hunan to inspect security measures there.

Fu Zhenghua, deputy minister of public security, assessed the police’s first response capabilities at Beijing Railway Station and South Railway Station and was told it would take only one or two minutes for police to arrive at the scene in the event of an emergency.

Another deputy minister of public security, Liu Yanping, inspected railway stations in Shanghai and Suzhou and ordered armed police to remain on high alert.



Send to a friend

To forward this article using your default email client (e.g. Outlook), click here.

Enter multiple addresses separated by commas(,)

For unlimited access to: SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive