NewsChina
TERROR

Police arrest 200 in Xinjiang crackdown on terror groups

Authorities in restive western region quick to react following Urumqi bomb that killed 34

PUBLISHED : Monday, 26 May, 2014, 11:35am
UPDATED : Monday, 26 May, 2014, 1:08pm
 

 

So far this month, police in the restive western region of Xinjiang have broken up 23 terror and religious extremism groups and caught over 200 suspects, state media reported on Monday.

It was the first announcement of a large number of arrests since an attack last week in the region’s capital killed at least 34 that police have blamed on a “terrorist gang.” Authorities subsequently launched a high-profile one-year security crackdown targeting terrorists and extremists, although the figures for the latest detentions are for the whole month of May.

Xinhua cited the regional security bureau in providing the information. The Tianshan news portal, which is run by the regional branch of the Communist Party, also reported the detentions and raids, which took place in the cities of Hotan, Kashgar and Aksu. The publicity office of the Ministry of Public Security did not immediately respond to a faxed request for comment.

Based on the names of the five suspects police have identified in Thursday’s attack, all appeared to be Uygurs, the region’s most populous Muslim minority.

Many among the Muslim Turkic Uygur people claim they are discriminated against by the Chinese government and dominant Han ethnic group. Recent attacks blamed on radicals among the Uygurs have become bolder. However, Xinjiang experts say it is unclear whether people are linking up to form organised groups who make long-term plans on how to maximise terror, or whether attacks are carried out by isolated groups who lash out on the spur of the moment.

Xinhua said that police had caught an unspecified number of suspects in their 20s and 30s since Friday, who had learnt how to make explosives and given themselves physical training through watching videos on the internet. They had used text messages and social media to chat about how to make explosives and spread the idea of “jihad,” Xinhua said. Police also seized more than 200 explosive devices, it said.

In Thursday’s attack, two trucks ploughed through crowds at a market in Urumqi, with explosives tossed from their windows. It was the largest number of victims in a single incident of violence blamed on Xinjiang tensions in recent history. Police said that four of the assailants were killed in the bombing and that the fifth was captured on Thursday night. 

At the end of April, two suspected suicide bombers detonated their explosives at the exit to the Urumqi train station, killing themselves and one other person. Another eight people attacked passengers with knives, leaving a total of 79 injured.

Share

 

Send to a friend

To forward this article using your default email client (e.g. Outlook), click here.

Enter multiple addresses separated by commas(,)

More on this story

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive