• Sat
  • Dec 20, 2014
  • Updated: 9:41pm
Xi Jinping's anti-graft campaign
NewsChina
CORRUPTION

Guangdong provincial government sacks over 850 ‘naked officials’

Investigation by local authorities identifies 2,190 officials whose spouses and offspring have emigrated overseas, with at least 866 dismissed

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 26 July, 2014, 2:32pm
UPDATED : Wednesday, 17 September, 2014, 7:12pm
 

More than 850 government workers in Guangdong have been forced out of their jobs as part of a crackdown on officials whose spouses and children have emigrated abroad.

An investigation by the provincial government identified 2,190 “naked officials” and 866 of them have been removed from their posts, according to a report posted on the Guangdong government’s official news portal on Friday and carried in local media on Saturday.

State media has reported that so-called naked officials will not be considered for promotion, as they are viewed as flight risks whose ability to escape overseas could make them more inclined to engage in corruption.

Xinhua said naked officials were a serious problem in Guangdong. The province adjacent to Hong Kong has traditionally seen high levels of emigration with communities of people originally from Guangdong scattered throughout Southeast Asia, Europe, Australia and North America.

Many officials have been taking advantage of a Hong Kong investment scheme to hide more than US$1 million each, which includes buying “residency” in faraway African nations, as the scheme is not open to mainlanders.

President Xi Jinping last year launched a crackdown on pervasive corruption over concern about public resentment towards the ruling Communist Party. But the drive is also seen as a tool to remove Xi’s opponents and replace them with his allies.

 

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
7

This article is now closed to comments

chaz_hen
Ironic isn't it? All these CCP scum with families abroad and an exit strategy and meanwhile the next Hong Kong CE must prove "love of country" and "patriotism".
chaz_hen
After she secured her degree, I'm sure. She'll probably very soon be a highly successful business woman like Li Peng's daughter...
zhelu1985@live.com
Nice work.
Civil servants flat out should not be allowed to emigrate their relatives. It's governance without accountability or consequence, and it's a national shame of unprecedented scale and depravity.
While I'm glad that around 40% of them were sacked, it should really have been the whole lot of them.
Xi has set a good example by bringing his own daughter home.
Dai Muff
Nothing like voting with your feet to show your confidence in the country
dynamco
wait till they cut and run when China brings in worldwide tax reporting & see what happens to the HK Property Market black money Laundry
tsthk
The reason for sacking only 40% is because the other 60% are on his side
jiawang@adb.org
Why does SCMP post include ones email address with comments?
Is this their way of stifling criticism?
How pathetic even China Daily doesn't do this.

Login

SCMP.com Account

or