Arson suspected as one person killed, 19 injured in Shandong bus blaze
One person was killed and 19 others were injured after a public bus caught fire during rush hour in east China’s Shandong province on Wednesday.
The bus blaze in Longkou city broke out at around 8.30am and was extinguished half an hour later, according to the Longkou municipal government.
Police said the fire was an act of arson. Following a preliminary investigation, they believe the suspect to be a man around 50 years old. Police are searching for the suspect.
A woman in her 40s died on the spot. Four of the injured are in serious condition, and all those injured have been sent to hospital. China has seen a string of bus arson cases in recent years.
In July, a 25-year-old suspect surnamed Ou in south China’s Guangzhou province set a bus on fire in anger after gambling losses, killing two and injuring 32.
A 34-year-old man was accused of setting fire to a bus in Hangzhou, injuring 32 people.
On June 7 last year, a bus in Xiamen burst into flames, leaving 47 people dead and 34 others injured.
Police later said suspect Chen Shuizong, who also died in the fire, committed arson with petrol.