-
Advertisement
China

Five Tibetans confirmed killed after police open fire on protesters

Death toll climbs, according to rights groups, but information still tightly policed in restive Tibetan-majority area of Garze

Reading Time:2 minutes
Why you can trust SCMP
An exiled Tibetan cries as he participates in a protest held in New Delhi, India. Rights groups blame the clashes in Tibet on cultural and religious repression, claims that the Chinese government denies. Photo: EPA

Five Tibetans died in China after police opened fire on unarmed protesters, a rights group said on Wednesday, the latest report of unrest linked to ethnic minority rights.

Police last week opened fire on locals in Garze, a Tibetan-majority area of China’s southwestern Sichuan province, rights groups and US-funded broadcaster Radio Free Asia (RFA) said, citing local sources.

Three people aged from 18 to 60 are now confirmed dead from injuries inflicted during the shootings, British-based group Free Tibet said in a statement, without specifying how the other two are believed to have died.

Advertisement
The US-based International Campaign for Tibet earlier said that one of the protesters had committed suicide in custody.

China’s ethnic minority regions in Tibet and far-western Xinjiang, home to the mainly Muslim Uygurs, have been regularly hit by unrest in recent years.

Advertisement

Rights groups blame the clashes on cultural and religious repression – claims that the Chinese government denies.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x