-
Advertisement
China

Shenzhen man detained after posting Occupy Central pictures

Reading Time:1 minute
Why you can trust SCMP
Wang Long. Photo: Weibo
SCMP Reporters

A Shenzhen activist has been detained after posting pictures of Hong Kong’s Occupy Central protests on mainland social media, his former lawyer said.

Wang Long  has been held in custody in Longgang district for “picking quarrels and provoking trouble”, his former lawyer Fan Biaowen  told the South China Morning Post.

Wang, 26, hit the headlines earlier this year after suing his internet service provider China Unicom for blocking access to Google.

Advertisement

Fan said the police told him on Monday night that Wang had been held. Wang’s last Weibo message was posted in the early hours on Monday.

“They [police] told me it [detention] was due to his posting about the demonstration in Hong Kong and his previous engagement in activism,” said Fan.

Advertisement

Wang reposted at least six photos from Twitter and Facebook on Weibo showing thousands of Occupy Central supporters and students protesting against Beijing’s decision to set strict limits on the 2017 Hong Kong elections on Sunday, according to freeweibo.com, a website that documents deleted Weibo posts.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x