-
Advertisement
ChinaDiplomacy

Chinese navy evacuates Chinese nationals from war-torn Yemen

China had started evacuating its 590 citizens from war-torn Yemen, Foreign Minister Wang Yi confirmed, as Arab leaders vowed to continue Saudi-led air strikes against Shiite rebels.

Reading Time:1 minute
Why you can trust SCMP
An armed man stands guard in front of a tank in Aden, Yemen. Air raids began in the country late last week. Photo: AFP
Nectar GanandReuters

China had started evacuating its 590 citizens from war-torn Yemen, Foreign Minister Wang Yi confirmed yesterday, as Arab leaders vowed to continue Saudi-led air strikes against Shiite rebels.

"We have about 500 compatriots in Yemen, and we are concerned about every one of them," China National Radio quoted Wang as saying on the sidelines of the Boao Forum for Asia in Hainan province.

"They will soon be on their way home safe and sound."

Advertisement

A port official and witnesses told Reuters that a Chinese warship had docked in the embattled Yemeni port city of Aden yesterday to evacuate Chinese diplomats and expatriate workers.

There were 590 Chinese nationals in Yemen, CNR reported, citing ambassador Tian Qi.

Advertisement

Wang said the foreign ministry activated its emergency response system on Thursday night when the air strikes started.

Advertisement
Select Voice
Select Speed
1.00x