image

China: Around The Nation

Chinese man fights for life after high-voltage electric shock

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 31 July, 2016, 3:37pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 04 August, 2016, 2:05pm

Two engineering technicians were injured when they were jolted by a high-voltage electric shock while installing internet cables in Zhengzhou, Henan province, mainland media report.

Their conditions worsened when someone trying to help them poured water on the two unconscious men, news portal Dahe.cn reported.

Pouring water on people after an electric shock risks causing a sudden drop in body temperature, resulting in further health complications.

The technicians, both aged 27, were rushed to hospital, where one remained unconscious and the other was recovering.

A neighbour said he heard a blast on Friday afternoon and went outside to see the two men lying on the ground with smoke rising from their bodies, the report said.

Then someone else rushed out and poured a pot of water on the unconscious men, he said.

Another witness said three workers were installing internet cables when two of them were thrown into the air after they apparently went too close to high-voltage power lines nearby.

Police were investigating the case, the report said.