Extreme weather in China

Typhoon Nida hits mainland China bringing traffic chaos across Pearl River Delta

Flights, trains and metro services cancelled as torrential rain and strong winds lash Guangdong province

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 02 August, 2016, 10:52am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 02 August, 2016, 5:45pm

Typhoon Nida made landfall in mainland China in the early hours of Tuesday, causing major traffic disruption and flight cancellations in the Pearl River Delta region.

In Shenzhen, the storm brought down trees and flooded several underpasses and streets, leaving many vehicles trapped.

The authorities in Shenzhen warned people to avoid going outside and to not go to work or classes in the city on Tuesday.

The typhoon hit the Dapeng peninsula in Shenzhen at 3.35am, creating winds of up to 151 km/h.

The typhoon is moving northwest and is expected to sweep across Shenzhen, Dongguan, Guangzhou, Foshan and Zhaoqing and towards the Guangxi region.

T8 warning remains in place for Hong Kong: beware of flooding in low-lying areas, Observatory warns as Typhoon Nida moves north

All flights from Shenzhen and Zhuhai were cancelled on Tuesday morning as were most services from Guangzhou’s airport, according to local media reports.

Hundreds of trains to and from Pearl River Delta cities were also delayed or cancelled.

The intercity line between Guangzhou and Zhuhai halted operations while all services connecting Guangzhou and Haikou would be suspended, China News Service reported.

Many tourists in Guangzhou and Shenzhen were unable to leave on Monday night and Tuesday because of the bad weather and had to stay in hotels.

“We arrived at Shenzhen last night and would have planned a trip to Hong Kong on Tuesday morning,” said Yang Fang, a tourist from Hunan province. “Now we have had to change our plans and stay at a hotel just next to the train station. The hotel is full of tourists like us.”

Jade Zheng, who lives in Shenzhen, said many roads near the railway station were flooded.

“It caused so much trouble for us to pick up my mother-in-law from Hunan province. Several roads in the Longhua New Zone looked like a pond. We didn’t dare to cross the flooded road and had to keep looking for new way to reach the north highway train station.”

A woman living in Yantian district said she was shocked and scared because the windows of her apartment were blown in by strong winds at midnight on Monday.

“I’ve been living in this apartment for years. It’s first time to have such damage because of a typhoon,” she said.

Cross-border checkpoints at Shenzhen Bay opened at 1.30pm and some trains and flights resumed normal services later on Tuesday afternoon.

All overground metro lines in Shenzhen were closed until noon and services on underground trains only ran at 10 minute intervals, an earlier city government statement said.

Guangdong’s provincial government issued an urgent notice on Monday afternoon, urging all governmental organisations to prepare for the typhoon.