Chinese girl, 7, dies after head is caught in electric rolling shutters

Friend also seriously injured in accident in Sichuan province, newspaper reports

PUBLISHED : Monday, 15 August, 2016, 3:43pm
UPDATED : Monday, 15 August, 2016, 6:36pm

One girl was killed and another injured after they got trapped and pulled upwards by electric rolling shutters on a doorway in southwest China, a newspaper reported.

The girls, both seven, were playing unaccompanied at a village in Dayi county in Sichuan province on Friday, the Chengdu Business Daily reported.

Subway horror: 4-year-old Chinese boy killed while playing unattended on escalator at Chongqing metro

Villagers found the girls hoisted above the ground, their heads and hands caught in the shutter, and struggling for breath.

It took villagers an hour to get them out. One girl died on the way to hospital and the other is still in intensive care, according to the report.

Chinese boy rescued after falling into ventilation shaft on top of high-rise block

It is believed the girls triggered the switch, which was high out of their reach, by standing on a bag of grain, and grabbed the shutters as they rose.

Police are investigating.