China: Around The Nation

High-pressure gas badly injures Chinese girl after she opens large bottle of fermented grapes with teeth

Youngster, 10, in intensive care after accident in Shaanxi province

PUBLISHED : Monday, 29 August, 2016, 3:59pm
UPDATED : Monday, 29 August, 2016, 3:59pm

A 10-year-old girl from northern China is in intensive care after she opened a bottle of fermented grapes and juice with her teeth and high pressure gas badly damaged her throat and lungs, according to a newspaper report.

The accident happened in Xianyang in Shaanxi province, the Huashang Daily reported.

Girl, 8, injured after falling into escalator at shopping centre in Beijing

The girl’s grandmother put dozens of leftover grapes with white sugar in a big plastic bottle and stored it in a refrigerator, thinking it would be good summer drink for the child, the elderly woman told the newspaper.

Later she heard a big popping sound and rushed into the room to find the girl holding her mouth and her nostrils full of blood.

The girl said she could not loosen the bottle top with her hands and tried to open it with her teeth.

She is receiving care at a hospital in Xian, the report said.

Three schoolgirls die, one is seriously injured after wall collapses during gale in northern China

High pressure gas damaged her throat and the upper part of her oesophagus and lungs.

The girl is in a stable condition, but receiving treatment for infection and help with nutrition as she is unable to eat normally.

The family said they were prepared to sell everything to send the girl for operations at a specialist hospital in Beijing.