Nine formally detained over deadly construction site disaster at power plant in China

Among officials held by police after 74 were killed when a building platform collapsed are the chairman of the firm in charge of the project

PUBLISHED : Monday, 28 November, 2016, 12:36pm
UPDATED : Monday, 28 November, 2016, 12:51pm

Chinese police have formally detained nine people involved in a power plant construction project in the east of the country which collapsed last week killing 74 people, the state news agency Xinhua said on Monday.

The accident happened on Thursday morning in Fengcheng in Jiangxi province during work on a cooling tower for a coal-fired power plant. A tower crane collapsed, triggering the collapse of the entire construction platform.

Death toll in construction site disaster at China power station rises to 74

Xinhua said the nine included the chairman of Hebei Yineng Tower Engineering, whose family name they gave as Zhang.

State media said the company was in charge of the building project.

A company official reached by telephone declined to comment.

Xinhua said the nine were suspected of “major liability” in the accident and would face criminal charges, but gave no other details other than that the probe was continuing.

State media said last week 13 people had been taken into custody in connection with the disaster. Xinhua did not say what had happened to the other four.

Deadly accidents are relatively common at industrial sites in China where anger over lax standards is growing. Three decades of swift economic growth have been marred by incidents ranging from mining disasters to factory fires.

China’s work safety chief detained for alleged graft in midst of Tianjin blast fallout

China has vowed to improve its poor safety record.

President Xi Jinping has said the authorities would learn the lessons paid for with blood after chemical blasts in the port city of Tianjin killed more than 170 people last year.

Shortly after those explosions, Yang Dongliang was removed from his post as director of the State Administration of Work Safety and later charged with corruption.