Chinese man bites into oyster ... and crunches on a pearl
Customer at restaurant in Sichuan province says it was an auspicious start to the year and plans to put gem in a ring, newspaper reports
A customer found a pearl while eating a barbecued oyster at a restaurant in western China and now plans on putting it in a ring, according to a newspaper report.
The man from Chengdu in Sichuan province found the pea-sized gem after biting into an oyster and hearing a cracking sound on his teeth, the Chengdu Commercial Daily said.
He at first thought it was a piece of gravel, but on closer inspection found it was a pearl, the article said.
He was quoted as saying that it was an auspicious start to the New Year and he would put the stone in a ring.
A jewellery merchant told the newspaper the pearl was too small to have any commercial value, while
the owner of the barbecue restaurant was quoted as saying that it was the first time such an incident had happened at his business.
A fish farming professor at Sichuan Agricultural University said that it was possible, but relatively rare for customers in restaurants to find pearls in barbecued oysters.
He added that pearls do no harm to the human body if swallowed as they can easily pass through the digestive system.