image

China: Around The Nation

Exploding Samsung smartphone injures five-year-old girl in China

Family had left Galaxy Note 4 charging beside them overnight while they slept in the same bed

PUBLISHED : Monday, 13 March, 2017, 4:13pm
UPDATED : Monday, 13 March, 2017, 4:13pm

A Samsung that was left charging overnight exploded and injured the face of a five-year old girl.

Feng Lingling from Anshun city in Guizhou province was charging his Samsung Note 4 smartphone on the bedside while his wife and daughter slept on each side of him last Thursday night.

At 4am a loud bang woke them up. The explosion burned Feng’s hair and the hands and face of his daughter, who was sleeping closest to the phone at that time, according to the daily Guizhou Dushi Bao.

The girl is unable to eat or speak due to the burns and may have permanent scars.

“This is too pathetic,” Feng’s wife said. She said her daughter had trouble sleeping due to the pain.

South Korean electronics giant Samsung announced a worldwide recall of its Galaxy Note 7 last October after there were reports of the phone’s battery overheating and exploding. Earlier this month, a photo of a badly burnt Galaxy S7 Edge smartphone posted by a university student from Henan province went viral online.

According to Feng, a Samsung staff member sent to check his phone after the accident told him that his phone battery was bogus.

Chinese student’s Samsung phone explodes, setting bed on fire

Samsung said in a statement after the incident: “We would like to express our deepest concern to the injured. At the moment, we are communicating with the customer to find out the cause of the problem.” But the statement made no mention of the battery, according to Guizhou Dushi Bao.

Feng said he bought the phone from retail chain Fei Li Da for 2699 yuan (US$350), and that he had never taken the battery out.

A Fei Li Da spokesman said the phone sold to Feng was sourced directly from Samsung.

“We are victims, too,” the spokesman said, adding that the chain paid 10,000 yuan to Feng’s family in compensation.

The local market supervision bureau said an initial investigation of the incident showed that the chain store had a license and appeared to be a legitimate Samsung distributor.