Chinese police detain triple murder suspect as he ‘tried to abduct child’

Manhunt leads to capture of 25-year-old wanted in connection with killings of two children and one adult

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 09 July, 2017, 4:49pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 08 March, 2018, 6:05pm

A man wanted in connection with the killings of three people and attacks on several others has been detained in central China, a news website reported on Sunday.

The 25-year-old suspect, identified as Yao Changfeng, was apprehended on Saturday in Yuanling county, Hunan province, following a manhunt involving police and members of the public, Thepaper.cn reported.

Black Hill murder suspects charged after two return to scene of Hong Kong killing for police reconstruction

According to a police statement, Yao, from central China’s Hubei province, was spotted trying to abduct a 10-year-old girl as she walked along a country road.

When he realised he had been seen he let the girl go and fled, the report said.

A group of locals went in pursuit, and with the help of police and people from neighbouring villages, the suspect was eventually apprehended beside a river.

Gruesome last details emerge of ‘murdered’ Hong Kong hiker ‘pushed down hill by his friends’

Yao is wanted by the Ministry of Public Security in connection with the murders of two children and one adult in separate incidents. A reward of 200,000 yuan (US$29,500) had been offered for his arrest.

The cases involve the 2011 killing of two siblings – a seven-year-old girl and six-year-old boy – in Xinchang county, eastern China’s Zhejiang province, and the 2013 murder of an unnamed adult in Longshan county, Hunan province, the report said.

Hong Kong housewife accused of causing baby’s death after losing self-control over infant’s incessant crying

According to a police statement, Yao is an “experienced fugitive”, who had sometimes resorted to living in caves to avoid capture.

The suspect will be detained pending further investigation, the report said.