image

Sichuan earthquake

Sichuan hit by second shock as rescue works continue after quake that left 19 dead

Aftershock of magnitude 4.8 recorded a day after deadly quake strikes popular tourist area of Jiuzhaigou county

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 09 August, 2017, 12:29pm
UPDATED : Friday, 11 August, 2017, 10:27am

Jiuzhaigou in Sichuan was shaken by another earthquake of magnitude 4.8 on Wednesday morning while rescue efforts were under way after a fatal shock the day before.

The county, a popular tourist location, was hit by a magnitude 7 earthquake late on Tuesday, leaving at least 19 people dead and 247 injured.

China Earthquake Network Centre said a quake of magnitude 4.8 had been recorded in Jiuzhaigou at 10.17am.

Jiang Haikun, a researcher with the centre, told the Beijing News that there was a risk of quakes of up to magnitude 6 and many aftershocks were expected.

Thirteen dead, 175 injured as magnitude 7 quake rattles Sichuan

Sichuan province has sent around 1,200 fire fighters and 30 rescue dogs to the quake zone, according to thepaper.cn, a Shanghai-based news outlet.

Four military helicopters under the Western Command Theatre of the People’s Liberation Army were flown to areas cut off by damage to the roads. They will help assess the damage caused by the quake and carry the injured to hospitals, Xinhua said.

Multiple small-scale landslides were reported after the quake.

Further landslides are also feared in the mountains because it is rainy season in the affected areas and the quake had loosened the earth, according to Jiang, who added that this would complicate rescue efforts.

Two Hongkongers still missing as tour groups cancel trips after Sichuan quake

However, Jiang was confident that casualties would not be high because there were no widespread reports of collapsed buildings so far, although there were reports that houses had been damaged.

A Xinhua video shot on a drone shows houses in downtown areas of the county remained largely standing after the quake.