The bribery trial involving Hong Kong tycoons Joseph Lau Luen-hung and Steven Lo Kit-sing was adjourned to next year, a Macau court heard on Monday.
Lau and Lo were charged with offering a HK$20 million bribe to Macau’s former public works chief Ao Man-long. Ao was sentenced to 29 years in May.
Clerks at the Macau Court of First Instance announced that presiding Judge Alice Costa was sick and two other judges had been assigned to different hearings.
“This case is relatively complicated. It is impossible to handle it today,” a clerk said.
The case was adjourned to January 7.
Lo went to the court with his wife at 8.30am on Monday protected by some guards. Ao was also escorted to the court.
Valente, who represented Lo, said Lau was sick and could not appear.
He said the court should inform people in advance when a case is adjourned. “It is very bad for the image of justice in Macau and it bothers people very much,” he said.