Policewoman recaptures escaped teen girl in daring operation

Officer intercepts taxi to reclaim 15-year-old girl who bolted from custody after daring breakout

PUBLISHED : Saturday, 29 September, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Saturday, 29 September, 2012, 3:11am

A policewoman intercepted a taxi and used pepper spray to recapture a 15-year-old girl who escaped from custody with the help of her boyfriend and three other men in a daring breakout from Tuen Mun Court yesterday.

The constable also arrested the girl's boyfriend, 30, and a 19-year-old man in the cab. The two others escaped and were still being hunted by police last night.

The breakout happened at about 12.30pm after the girl appeared in Tuen Mun Juvenile Court for the hearing of an application for a care and protection order for her.

Police said she had earlier texted her boyfriend saying she did not want to be sent to a juvenile home. Her boyfriend, who wore a wig and black-framed glasses in an apparent attempt to hide his identity, also appeared in the court, police said.

After the hearing, the girl was being escorted by two policewomen on the way to a basement car park in the court building from where she was to be taken to a juvenile home.

But in the ground-floor lift lobby, the two policewomen were attacked by three men.

"Initial investigations showed two of the men grabbed the policewomen and then pushed them on to the floor," a police officer said. "The girl then escaped with the three men including her boyfriend."

A fourth man flagged down a taxi and waited outside the cab at a taxi stand in Tuen Mun Heung Sze Wui Road, 100 to 200 metres away from the court building.

The girl, her boyfriend and one of the three men jumped into the cab while the other two men fled on foot.

One of the policewomen caught up with the taxi before it drove off and used pepper spray to arrest the three as they tried to escape. The wig and glasses were found in the car.

Police mounted a search, but no further arrest was made.

The two policewomen suffered minor injuries and were treated at Tuen Mun Hospital.

Saying it was a "planned" escape, a veteran officer said it was probably the first such breakout in 10 to 20 years.

The three were being held for questioning last night.