• Mon
  • Dec 22, 2014
  • Updated: 7:57pm
NewsHong Kong

Arrest warrant issued for mainlander accused of assaulting HK tour guide

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 02 October, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 02 October, 2012, 4:09am
 

A magistrate yesterday issued an arrest warrant for a mainland man who failed to appear in court after being charged with assaulting a tour guide on the Avenue of the Stars on Sunday.

Eastern Court magistrate Lambert Lee Ka-chai issued the warrant for the arrest of Fan Zhangyou, 38, who is charged with one count of common assault committed against Yeung Siu-king, 42, at Tsim Sha Tsui on Sunday.

Fan allegedly was displeased that the tour he was on had stopped at a store for too long. He is accused of punching tour guide Yeung in the head and kicking her hip.

He was arrested and released on bail and was due to appear in court yesterday.

Court staff called out his name several times during the hearing, but no one answered. A lawyer who was appointed to represent Fan told the magistrate that she had not seen him.

Fan was described in court documents as a man who arrived in the city on a two-way permit. It was unclear which part of China he was from. The charges against him were not read in court.

Asked whether Fan had been placed on any watch list, the Immigration Department's communications and public affairs section said it did not comment on individual cases.

Meanwhile, a 42-year-old woman lodged a complaint on Sunday about a man she said had called her from the mainland many times and had made threats against her.

The woman had made another complaint earlier in the day about a man assaulting her on the Avenue of the Stars.

The police's Kwai Tsing district crime investigation squad was following up on the report about the calls, but so far no-one has been arrested.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or