Mentally ill performer convicted of indecently assaulting model

PUBLISHED : Friday, 12 October, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Friday, 12 October, 2012, 3:15am

A mentally ill performer, dubbed the "Nicholas Tse of Victoria Park", was convicted yesterday of indecently assaulting a model during a live show.

Deputy magistrate Allan Wyeth sent Lam Hak-lam, 35, to Siu Lam Psychiatric Centre for two weeks after hearing that he and his family suffered from mental illness.

He adjourned sentencing to October 25 and called for psychiatric and background reports.

Lam had pleaded not guilty to one count of indecent assault after the model alleged he ran his hand from her buttocks to her breast and rubbed her thigh during the show at the Morrison Plaza studio of online broadcaster on June 2.

Finding him guilty, Wyeth said he found the evidence given by the woman and a colleague "clear and cogent".

"I believe their evidence. Lam did touch [the model] without her consent. He touched her deliberately and with intention," the magistrate said.

Lam, who was not legally represented, insisted he was "clear and clean". "I am not guilty. The judge has super power to control other people's lives. It is very unfair to find sexual harassment."

Lam told the magistrate in fluent English that he and his family suffered from mental illnesses. He also said he had left Hong Kong six years ago but returned with a mission to stop violence and to make a contribution to the community.

"My father used violence on me, my mother and my brother. I really hate any violence. This is why I set up an 'Ego Fight Club' to stop violence," Lam said.

Lam, who got his nickname when his resemblance to the Hong Kong singer-actor was noticed as he spoke at a forum in Victoria Park, had been in custody since Wednesday after he arrived late in court for the second day in a row.

Prosecutor Michael Arthur said Lam had been in Kwai Chung hospital for psychiatric assessment between January and March this year and was an out-patient at West Kowloon Psychiatric Centre. He had been fined HK$1,000 for possession of dangerous drugs on August 28.