Police to lift veil on hotel wedding shambles
Police are looking into claims from dozens of couples that they are being swindled after booking weddings at a top hotel overlooking Victoria Harbour.
It follows an investigation by the Development Bureau at the Harbour Plaza Metropolis that found two canopies covering 3,000 sq ft of a seventh-floor outdoor venue The Patio were illegal.
The canopies were removed last week and couples were offered alternative plans, which they say cost more than their original deals.
The Hung Hom hotel, owned by Li Ka-shing's Cheung Kong, did not answer inquiries yesterday, but it is believed that at least 30 couples are affected.
Four couples delivered a letter of complaint yesterday to police headquarters in Wan Chai. They then marched to the Cheung Kong Center in Central where they submitted another petition to a Cheung Kong representative.
A police spokeswoman confirmed that the Kowloon City District Investigation Team was following up their complaints.
Bride-to-be Wendy Lee had been expecting to celebrate her wedding at The Patio this Sunday along with 200 guests, and had booked a package with the hotel costing HK$210,000.
"A wedding is supposed to be a happy event," she said. "Why must we be faced with this worry at this time?"
She said the hotel had offered couples an indoor buffet area for a 30 per cent discount, but with an added 10 per cent service charge on top of banquet fees.
"It's still more expensive than the original venue I booked after the discount," Lee said, adding the new deal would cost an extra HK$20,000 or so.
The hotel has reportedly given customers a deadline of Wednesday to agree to the deal, with no information on what happens otherwise. Couples are demanding a 50 per cent discount on the venue with no service charge.
Ava Hui, whose wedding is also affected, said some of the couples had asked the hotel if the canopies were legal structures - and were told they were.