Battered body suspected to be of armed assailant

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 01 November, 2012, 2:10pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 01 November, 2012, 3:44pm

A DNA test will be carried out to confirm whether a battered body found in a large paper compression machine in Fanling is that of a man who attacked a woman worker, police said on Thursday morning.

Police believe the man was a 43-year-old mainland worker who attacked a female colleague with a knife at the Kui Sik Street recycling factory on Wednesday morning.

“We found a key on the battered body and it is the key to a locker that belonged to the male worker,” a police officer said.

“Inside the locker, we found his mainland and local identification documents and personal belongings.”

The DNA test was needed to confirm the man’s identity, he said.

The mainlander went missing after his colleague – Lam So-fung, 49 – was attacked with a fruit knife at about 8am on Wednesday.

Lam was cut on the face, neck and right wrist. Her neck artery was pierced, leaving her in critical condition because of blood loss, police said.

After seven hours’ surgery at Prince of Wales Hospital, her condition was reported to be stable and improving.

Crime squad officers are trying to establish the motive for the attack.

Work at the factory was halted and paper-recycling machines were turned off on Wednesday as officers from Police Tactical Unit searched the factory and industrial building that houses it.

The fruit knife was found discarded on a first-floor staircase, but police could not find the man, and they left in the afternoon.

Then blood was seen leaking from a large compression machine after it was turned on, later on Wednesday. Police were called back, and the remains were removed from the machine early on Thursday morning.

“We suspect the man hid from our officers and accidentally fell … into the machine,” another officer said, adding that the machine was probably running at the time.

The body was taken to Fu Shan public mortuary in Sha Tin.

The plant was still cordoned off by officers on Thursday morning. Police said engineers from Electrical and Mechanical Services Department would be called in to check whether the machine is safe to resume work.

Detectives from Tai Po district crime squad are still investigating the case.