CRIME

Yuen Long

Businessman fights off Yuen Long stun-gun robbers

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 08 November, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 08 November, 2012, 3:25am

A mainland businessman fought off two robbers during a bungled robbery in Yuen Long yesterday after two stun guns apparently failed to release an electric shock strong enough to disable him.

The 42-year-old withdrew HK$500,000 from a bank and had breakfast at a cafe in Yuen Long before the hold-up happened at about 10.15am.

Police believe the man was ambushed when he returned to his Toyota car parked in Yat San Street.

As he got into his car, the two culprits opened the doors and rushed into the front and rear passenger seats of the vehicle.

"They fired two stun guns at the victim, hitting his neck and leg, and tried to snatch his handbag containing the HK$500,000," a police officer said.

"It's possible the electric shocks from the stun guns were not strong enough to disable him."

The two robbers jumped out of the car and fled empty-handed after the victim fought back and shouted for help.

Officers mounted a search, but found no sign of the two men apart from a cap that was left behind by one of them at the crime scene.

The men were both thought to be aged about 30. They were about 1.67 metres tall with short hair. Each of the men carried a rucksack.

The mainland businessman, who runs a waste recycling business in Hong Kong, suffered minor injuries but refused hospital treatment.

Another police officer said it appeared the two culprits knew of the victim's movements and that he carried large sums of cash.

"We are investigating whether it is an inside job," the officer said.

The Yuen Long district crime squad is handling the case.

It is thought to be the first hold-up involving stun guns this year. There were three cases last year.

Police handled 417 reports of robbery in the first eight months of this year.