ESF - English Schools Foundation

ESF schoolboy, 16, gets 12-month bond after hitting taxi in dad's car

ESF student 'deeply remorseful' for hitting parked taxi in dad's company car

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 20 November, 2012, 12:00am
UPDATED : Friday, 01 February, 2013, 3:12pm

A schoolboy who took his father's company car for a joyride and hit a parked taxi in Pok Fu Lam has received a year's probation.

Fahim Khan, a 16-year-old pupil at the English Schools Foundation's West Island School, was also ordered not to drive any vehicle for two years.

The teenager previously pleaded guilty in Eastern Court to careless driving, taking a car without authority and driving without a licence or insurance.

The court heard that Khan set off on his joyride in the early hours of August 26 and hit the side of a cab that was pulled into a layby on Victoria Road.

The crash left a metre-long scrape on one side of the taxi.

When Khan first appeared in court on October, he was represented by a duty lawyer he found through the government's Free Legal Advice Scheme - as he had not told his family that he was standing trial.

By the time of his second court hearing, his wealthy family found veteran barrister Andrew Bruce SC to represent him.

The teenager's father, Ikram Khan, is founder and managing director of the Shun Shing Group, an international trading and investment company with offices in mainland China, Southeast Asia and India.

In mitigation submissions yesterday, Bruce said that the incident caused only "minor damage", and Fahim was "deeply remorseful" for what he had done.

Magistrate Symon Wong Yu-wing said he had decided to give Khan a chance.

The teenager was also ordered to receive psychiatric and psychological treatments directed by probation officers and pay HK$5,000 in compensation for the damage. He was also fined HK$2,000.

In January, a 10-year-old American boy took his father's Maserati for a spin on Kennedy Road, Wan Chai.

He stopped after 300 metres and shocked passers-by called the police.

He was briefly detained but it was determined that he was too young to face charges.