CY Leung: I'll give more details on illegal structures
The chief executive will release more information about illegal structures found at his home on The Peak, he said on Tuesday amid mounting pressure from lawmakers and the public.
Leung Chun-ying said he would give a further account once his team of professional advisers had finished liaising with the Buildings Department about necessary modifications to one of his two houses in Peel Drive.
Leung said he hoped his further explanation would end the controversy.
“After the professionals give me their advice, I will give a full account once again to the public, to conclude the matter,” he said before attending an Executive Council meeting on Tuesday morning.
“I hope that after that, I can concentrate on my chief executive’s duty and we will start a new journey,” he said.
Pressure is mounting on Leung to further explain the illegal structures after buildings officers last week found an unauthorised space of 320 sq ft behind a brick wall in his house.
The space was 120 sq ft larger than Leung had described in a statement late last month, in which he tried to cool the controversy.
Critics say there are many unanswered questions related to the wall, including: Did Leung try to hide the illegal space by sealing it up? Was it done before Leung became a chief executive candidate, to prevent it becoming a political liability?
On Monday Leung faced renewed calls to resign over the structures, by protesters at a town hall meeting to hear public views on what issues his upcoming policy address should address.
Even pro-government lawmakers are now urging Leung to give further clarification in order to clear away doubts.