Macau-Hong Kong ferry collision injures 26
Johnny Tam and Jolie Ho
Twenty-six people were injured, two of whom are still in hospital with serious injuries, when a TurboJet jetfoil ferry leaving Macau for Hong Kong collided with a marker buoy early Saturday afternoon.
The injured passengers still in the hospital are both mainland vistors - a 60-year-old woman and the 39-year-old man. A pregnant 29-year-old woman and a four-year-old boy, who were previously listed as seriously injured have been released from hospital.
The Macau authorities said on Saturay that 26 injured people - aged between aged between four and 60 - were admitted to the Centro Hospitalar Conde de São Januário for treatment.
Those with non-serious injuries were mostly treated for mostly for minor abrasions and bruises.
Lam Son, senior technical officer of the Maritime Administration in Macau, said the ferry was not speeding at the time of the collision, but that visibility was low - only 0.8 nautical mile.
The ferry, which left Macau at 12.15pm, hit the No 5 marker bouy after deviating from its normal course at approvimately 12.30pm.
At 1pm, the vessel was towed back to the Macau Maritime Ferry Terminal with minor surface damage, reaching the pier at 1.30pm, at which time rescue workers boarded the vessel to treat the injured.
Ferry service, which was suspended for 45 minutes because of the collision, resumed at 1.30pm.
Shun Tak Holdings, operator of 24-hour ferry service between Hong Kong and Macau under the brand name TurboJet, said on Saturday that a total of 177 passengers and 8 crew members were on board the ferry involved in the incident.
Correction: A previous version of this article reported 27 people as being injured, that figure has been revised to 26; and a six-year-old boy was reported as being seriously injured, the boy was later found to be only four years old.