Electrical hair straighteners, curlers fail safety tests

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 15 January, 2013, 1:15pm
UPDATED : Tuesday, 15 January, 2013, 1:20pm

The Consumer Council on Tuesday warned consumers about  the dangers of burning and electrical accidents while using electrical hair straighteners and curlers – after some failed safety tests.

Council vice-chairman Ambrose Ho Pui-him 12 such devices were tested by the council. Five were found to have inadequate insulation.

Test results, published in the latest issue of the council’s Choice magazine, showed that three reached temperatures of up to 209 degrees Celsius.

“When using these tools, don’t use them for too long, with too high temperatures or too frequently,” advised Ho.

He cited overseas studies showing that when such a device was at 175 to 215 degrees Celsius, using it for five minutes could damage a person’s hair.

He said some hair smoothing or straightening sprays might release formaldehyde under heating. This could cause nausea or difficulty in breathing. He suggested consumers avoid using these products or ensure good ventilation if they did use them.



Send to a friend

To forward this article using your default email client (e.g. Outlook), click here.

Enter multiple addresses separated by commas(,)

Related topics