- Thu
- Feb 28, 2013
- Updated: 11:36am
Trending topics
Education secretary pledges children will be educated where they live
Minister promises children will be educated in district where they live, but it is unclear how schools will absorb the 1,400 extra enrolments
In Pictures
Editor's Pick
Victoria Harbour has been abused for decades, but the opening of the new Maritime Museum marks a softening of the government's attitude towards it. Nevertheless, writes Stuart Heaver, the battle...
The education secretary has promised "special arrangements" to ensure that children in the northern New Territories will get a school place in the district where they live despite intense pressure on schools from cross-border pupils.
"We pledge to increase the number of Primary One school places in North District in order to accommodate the wishes of these children to study within the same district," Eddie Ng Hak-kim said yesterday.
But parents and educators questioned how schools could be expanded to absorb 1,400 extra pupils - the estimated shortage of places - before the next school year starts in September.
One principal said it could mean expanding the size of classes to 38, 10 more than the citywide standard.
Schools are under pressure from an influx of children born in Hong Kong to mainland parents as well as offspring of local families living across the border.
Education officials said earlier that giving priority to children of local parents could be considered, but this was condemned by critics as discriminatory.
Yesterday Ng stopped short of such a measure, but said mainland parents would be encouraged to enrol their children in other districts.
Earlier, Ng and other Education Bureau officials had said schools in border areas such as Sheung Shui could expand capacity by renovation and increasing class sizes. "We are OK to push [the class size] to 38," North District Primary School Heads Association chairman Chan Siu-hung said. "But we are not sure if parents will be happy with it."
He also warned that the quality of teaching could be compromised if the authorities did not provide adequate resources.
Ng said the guarantee of a place for northern students was a "special arrangement" made in response to surging demand.
While the overall shortfall has been put at 1,400, a bureau spokesman said that with parents willing to send their children elsewhere to study the actual number of children failing to secure a place in their district of residence could be as small as 300.
The lawmaker for the education sector, Ip Kin-yuen, said he welcomed Ng's pledge but doubted whether school capacity could be increased much in the space of a few months.
North District councillor Lau Kwok-fun said he expected classes in the area to be more crowded. He urged the government to allocate the necessary resources to help schools cope.
North District parent-teacher representative Eacy Chan said the association welcomed the government's move.
Officials earlier said other than expanding classes, more classrooms would be built in selected campuses to increase capacity.
Ng said yesterday that after the allocation results were announced in June, parents living near the border, whose children were allocated to a school outside their district, should register with the bureau.
Share
- Google Plus One
- Tweet Widget
-
2Comments
Related topics
After reading this article, people also read
3:22pm
BTW, legco members are equally responsible including the Pam dem as they just know how to scream and yell but no doing anything to stop the mess.
This problem is only the beginning!
3:32pm






















