Leung Chun-ying

Lew Mon-hung bounces back a day after subdued post-ICAC look

Accuser of Leung Chun-ying attributes his lack of responsiveness to illness, not interrogation

PUBLISHED : Friday, 22 February, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Friday, 22 February, 2013, 4:34am


Related topics

The chief executive's friend turned foe Lew Mon-hung appeared confident yesterday, 24 hours after being summoned to the Independent Commission Against Corruption's offices for questioning.

Lew insisted yesterday that he had always "walked in the light", despite an investigation into allegations he had perverted the course of justice, believed to be related to a letter he purportedly wrote to Leung Chun-ying.

In the letter, dated January 9, he is believed to have asked Leung to stop an ICAC investigation involving his listed company Pearl Oriental Oil or else he would set off some "political bombs".

As he was driven away from the ICAC headquarters in North Point on Wednesday after spending five hours inside the building, Lew looked miserable in the back of the car.

But yesterday he said he had been feeling uncomfortable because he had been afflicted with an irregular heartbeat from February 9 to 12 and had not taken his medicine with him.

"I sat in the back seat to take some rest; I was not being evasive," Lew told reporters. "Let me tell you, according to section 30 of the Prevention of Bribery Ordinance, I can't say anything; I can't say anything pertaining to the investigation details. Thank you."

I sat in the back seat to take some rest; I was not being evasive

"But," he stressed, "I believe Hong Kong's laws are candid. I myself have walked in the light."

Lew later said he would join the Action Committee for Defending the Diaoyu Islands by visiting the United States this month to canvass the support of the Chinese community there for its campaign.

The committee said the trip would last for at least 17 days.

Late last month, Lew made explosive claims about Leung in an interview with the iSun Affairs magazine.

He accused the chief executive of lying about how he had dealt with illegal structures at his home on The Peak. He also said Leung had gone back on his word to appoint him to the Executive Council.

The Beijing-loyalist businessman later lost his seat on the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference.

Additional reporting by Thomas Chan