Journalist 'should be jailed for contempt'

Producer of video that features businessman's wife ignored order to remove it, he says

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 07 March, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Thursday, 07 March, 2013, 4:13am

The saga over the video of a rich but lonely wife took another twist yesterday when her businessman husband demanded that the journalist who produced the show be sent to jail for contempt.

In a High Court writ, David Chor Ki-Kwong asked for an order that Lorea Solabarrieta be "committed to prison" for contempt of court for failing to comply with a court order to remove The Life of a Hong Kong Tai Tai video from YouTube.

But Solabarrieta, who had not yet received the writ yesterday, told the South China Morning Post that the video was taken offline last year.

"I believe there is foul play," she said, adding that she had made a report to police.

"[We] deny that we put it back online. There is no way that the video is on YouTube, unless somebody has hacked into the account, put the video back and played it," she said.

The legal wrangle stems from the 12-minute video in which Chor's wife describes herself as someone who does not need to work because her wealthy husband looks after her. She buys a lot of luxury items, she adds, to give "face" to her husband.

The wife displays their Ferrari and her collection of Hermes and Gucci handbags. But she breaks into tears when describing her husband as a busy man who spends little time with her.

The video had been on YouTube for two years and had been viewed more than 85,000 times before Chor took action in October last year to have it removed.

In yesterday's writ, Chor says there was court order on October 19 last year ordering Solabarrieta to remove all videos and photographs of Chor and his family from any websites.

He says the former TV anchor and presenter missed the three-day deadline and changed the setting of her YouTube account only on October 25, making the video accessible only to users permitted by her.

Chor claims that the video was once again available for public access on January 27 and that he has screen captures as proof. The video is no longer available for public access.

The journalist said she was fighting the case "for my civil rights, human rights and journalistic rights".