Missing couple found dismembered in Tai Kok Tsui flat; two arrested

PUBLISHED : Friday, 15 March, 2013, 2:22pm
UPDATED : Saturday, 16 March, 2013, 6:42am

The dismembered remains of an elderly couple who vanished a fortnight ago were found in a flat in Tai Kok Tsui, Kowloon, yesterday after police arrested their youngest son and a friend.

Their heads were found in the refrigerator and police recovered parts of three arms and four legs from the flat.

But officers were still looking for the torsos of the couple, Chau Wing-ki, 64, and his wife, Siu Yuet-yee, 63.

The horrific discovery came to light after officers picked up their 29-year-old son at the family's flat in Western about 7am.

Everything could be evidence ... We have to check everything … carefully

They then arrested the second suspect, a 35-year-old man, in the second-floor flat of Hoi Hing Building in Kok Cheung Street, Tai Kok Tsui, about 10.30am.

Inside the bloodstained flat, police seized several plastic bags and moisture-proof plastic boxes that contained body parts. They also found a chopping board, saws and knives. "Everything could be evidence," a police source said. "We have to check everything … carefully."

Forensic pathologists and detectives were still in the Tai Kok Tsui flat last night looking for other body parts.

The source said some parts had been dumped in the sea.

Senior Superintendent Eddie Ma Chi-kin, of Hong Kong Island regional crime unit, said a DNA test was required to confirm the identities. "We have reason to believe the flat was the site of the killing," he said. "We are now investigating the motive."

Another police source said the couple were lured to the Tai Kok Tsui flat after the younger son said he wanted to buy it.

They were reported missing by their 35-year-old eldest son last Saturday. The youngest son told police he met his parents in Mong Kok on March 2 and they told him they were going to the mainland for a few days.

But police revealed yesterday that the couple were killed on March 1. They became suspicious after finding no record of them leaving the city.

Officers made the arrests after studying closed-circuit footage and interviewing the two sons and their friends and relatives.

Chau formerly worked for a shipping company and his wife with China Merchant Group.