Woman jumps 77 floors to her death 'after attempting to behead partner'

PUBLISHED : Monday, 18 March, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 18 March, 2013, 1:40pm

A woman leapt to her death from a luxury apartment block in Kowloon West yesterday after she is believed to have attempted to behead her partner in the city's third suspected murder case uncovered in as many days, police said.

The 47-year-old woman, identified as Wong Suk-kan, was seen covered in blood as she jumped from the 77th floor of The Harbourside in Kowloon West at around 1pm, police said.

A police source identified the stabbing victim as Peng Chi-hui, 49. Official records indicate he was a director of Ho Fai Holding (Hong Kong), a company providing logistical services between the city and the mainland.

"Over 100 knife wounds were found on the man.... Knife wounds were on his head, neck, arms and legs," said Yu Hoi-kwan, chief inspector at Yau Tsim district.

"One knife wound almost cut off his head," Yu said, adding that police suspected the man had been sedated with sleeping pills before the attack. Two vegetable knives and a meat knife were found at the scene.

Yu said that the dead woman recently had been in an emotionally unstable state.

Wong and Peng had an eight-year-old son. The police source said she also had a six-year-old daughter with an estranged, expatriate husband, whom she had called to say she had killed someone and was about to commit suicide.

The latest deaths follow two suspected murder cases on Friday and Saturday, in which the victims were parents killed by a son. In Friday's case, a 29-year-old man and a 35-year-old accomplice are expected to appear in Kowloon City Court today on charges of murdering his parents, Chau Wing-ki, 64, and his wife, Siu Yuet-yee, 63, who were dismembered.

Police divers yesterday failed to recover a severed hand after a four-hour search off the waterfront a 15-minute walk from the crime scene at Hoi Hing Building in Tai Kok Tsui.

Officers recovered most parts of the bodies which were found in moisture-proof boxes and a refrigerator. The couple was first reported missing by their eldest son about a week ago.

"[The police] do not exclude the possibility that [the remains] have been washed away by the flow of water," said senior inspector Lai Wai-kei of the Hong Kong Island regional crime unit.

In Saturday's case, an 18-year-old male and his 19-year-old friend allegedly stabbed his 50-year-old father to death and seriously wounded his mother early on Sunday. Their case will be heard in Tuen Mun Magistrate's Court today in their absence.

The 18-year-old was heard screaming as he was being escorted by police back to the crime scene - his home in a Pat Heung village in Yuen Long yesterday.