Son of dismembered couple silent as murder charge read

He appeared in the dock with a co-accused, charged with killing his elderly parents whose cut-up bodies were found last week

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 19 March, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 19 March, 2013, 5:07am

An unemployed man appeared in court yesterday morning charged with murdering his parents, along with another unemployed man, in whose home the killings allegedly occurred.

Henry Chau Hoi-leung, 29, and Tse Chun-kei, 35, entered no pleas at Kowloon City Court.

Chau and Tse are charged jointly with two counts of murder for allegedly killing Chau's father, Chau Wing-ki, 64, and Chau's mother, Siu Yuet-yee, 63.

They are accused of murdering the couple in a room on the third floor of a building at 38 Fuk Chak Street in Tai Kok Tsui on March 1 this year.

The address where the killing allegedly occurred was listed in a court document as the place where Tse lived.

The document showed that Chau lived in Ivy Tower on Second Street in Western District.

A court interpreter read out the charges and asked the pair whether they had understood them. They said they had.

They had been guided into the dock by police officers when their case was called, and stood there for the hearing, which lasted about three minutes.

They were silent throughout except when replying that they had understood the charges.

Chau and Tse's appearance in court yesterday was their first since police laid the murder charges against them.

Court prosecutor May Leung asked for an adjournment to allow time to conduct forensic tests, prepare autopsy reports, and to look into the financial backgrounds of the two defendants.

Lawyer Kenneth Chan, for the defendants, said they made no application for bail. Both were remanded pending their next hearing.

After hearing Leung and Chan, Acting Principal Magistrate Clement Lee Hing-nin adjourned the case to May 13 in the same court.

Meanwhile, two refrigerators and bags of items were taken from the Fuk Chak Street flat by police and loaded into a truck yesterday afternoon.

The flat is still cordoned off by police.