Hong Kong women seek official help with forced eviction in Fujian
Two permanent residents allege thugs gave them a thrashing over redevelopment compensation
Two Hong Kong women are appealing to the city's administration to intervene after gangsters allegedly beat up their family at their house on the mainland earlier this month.
The violence was apparently prompted by their refusal to accept an offer of compensation over a local government redevelopment project, they said.
The attack, they claimed, saw the family evicted from the house in a Fujian village. They were robbed of about 400,000 yuan (HK$494,400) worth of gold, jade and other valuables and their house was demolished.
Zhang Yingming, 70, said about 20 gangsters arrived in the morning of March 18 in Hua Da village, Fuzhou.
"They pulled my hair and dragged me from the third floor to the ground floor. My face is covered in bruises now," said Zhang, who also suffered a broken right arm. She stayed in the intensive care unit of a local hospital for three days and returned to Hong Kong on Wednesday.
Both Zhang and her daughter, Chan Lai-wa, are permanent Hong Kong residents. Zhang lives with her two sons and three grandchildren in Hua Da. The young children were at school when the attackers came.
The Fuzhou municipal government has earmarked 329 buildings in the village for redevelopment. Settlement talks began in December and most families had moved out by now.
Chan said her family was among some 20 households that rejected the compensation. The offer for their 650 square-metre house was "less than half the market price of about 19,000 yuan per square metre".
She said her brothers were beaten until they fainted. "The attackers were like brigands."
Neighbours called police but officers who arrived did not stop the assault.
"All this took place with the obvious connivance of the officials," Chan claimed, saying some officials responsible for the redevelopment "were at the scene ordering the gang to commit the assault".
Her family has written to the central government's liaison office in Hong Kong and the Security Bureau to request an investigation.
A spokeswoman for the bureau said the government has found out details of the incident through the Economic and Trade Office in Guangdong.