• Fri
  • Oct 3, 2014
  • Updated: 1:36am

Kwai Tsing dock workers strike

On March 28, 2013, dock workers at Kwai Tsing took industrial action seeking a 17 per cent pay rise. The port is operated by Hongkong International Terminals (HIT).

NewsHong Kong
LABOUR

Li Ka-shing's flagship Cheung Kong asks court to drive out strikers

Now, Li Ka-shing empire applies for an injunction - the second in less than a month - to clear its headquarters of protesting dockers

PUBLISHED : Friday, 26 April, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Friday, 26 April, 2013, 5:58am

Tycoon Li Ka-shing's flagship Cheung Kong company dealt a blow to striking dockers yesterday, seeking an injunction in the High Court to keep them away from its headquarters in Central.

Mr Justice Derek Pang Wai-cheong, sitting in the Court of First Instance, said he would not hear the application in the absence of the demonstrators because it involved a constitutional right to demonstrate and freedom of expression.

"My question is what the urgency of this application is. I walked past twice this week and I found things to be peaceful," Pang said of a site outside the Cheung Kong Center where the strikers set up base on April 17 after being barred from Kwai Tsing Container Terminals.

My question is what the urgency of this application is. I walked past twice this week and I found things to be peaceful
Mr Justice Derek Pang Wai-cheong

The judge adjourned the hearing to next Friday.

Walkout organiser and unionist lawmaker Lee Cheuk-yan said Cheung Kong - whose subsidiary Hutchison Whampoa is the parent company of dock operator Hongkong International Terminals (HIT) - was cracking down on their freedom of expression.

"This is outrageous … We have been expressing our views peacefully here," Lee said, adding that the strikers would stay put.

Hutchison Whampoa said the strikers' actions were not peaceful any more. For example, it said, some supporters stormed the headquarters on Wednesday, causing a nuisance to people who worked inside.

The court action marks the second time the 450 strikers are facing an injunction, after HIT succeeded on April 1 in forcing them out of Kwai Tsing, where they had been on strike since March 28 to demand better pay and work conditions.

Cheung Kong, through another subsidiary Turbo Top, filed a writ with the High Court, naming, along with Lee, Union of Hong Kong Dockers members Ho Wai-hong, Chan Ka-kui, Wong Yu-loy, Mung Siu-tat and "persons forming a group of demonstrators" .

It is seeking an injunction to restrain the defendants from "entering into, occupying, remaining at or in any way trespassing in" the Cheung Kong Center and certain areas surrounding it.

It asks that the defendants be barred from interfering with, obstructing or causing nuisance to it or its tenants and visitors' property, and their rights of way over the public and private roads leading to and within the site.

The writ also asks for compensation for nuisance and trespass committed by the defendants.

The Lands Department said the occupied areas were private property but designated as public open space. The property owners must allow the public to enter and use the space legally.

In the morning, about 300 strikers staged a two-hour slow march outside the terminals. More than 100 vehicles were stuck along Container Port Road South. Police said they would seek advice from the Department of Justice on whether anyone had to take responsibility.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

6

This article is now closed to comments

boondeiyan
Compensation for nuisance and trespass? Please add this to the wiki entry for 'adding insult to injury'. And to the case study of contemporary oligarchy.
hard times !
Now our Lands Department has come out to say that the occupied areas outside Cheung Kong Cenre were private property but was designated as public open space and the property owners (Cheung Kong Holdings) must allow the public (including the dockers on strike) to enter and use the space legally ----including peaceful gatherings and setting up of stalls or taking rest in tents---Right ? The Li family is absolutely a loser in this strike which the Leung administration might be pleased to see as Li Ka-shing publicly said that he still supported Henry Tang before he cast his vote in picking the chief executive ! How can the Leung administration be pitiful/sympathetic/helpful towards such an arch rival's staunch supporter plus the symbol of property/land hegemony ? Certainly not !
Byebye
Bravo, at least there is Justice in Hong Kong for everyone, regardless of who you are, or who you associated with. The Right and Power belong to the people at large, not just the privileged few.
impala
While I appreciate the SCMP's reporting on this issue, I had to read the first couple of paragraph's twice. And I still don't get your chosen angle.

You claim that Mr Li & co "dealt a blow" to the protesters by seeking an injunction.

You then continue to report that the presiding judge all but threw out the request, postponing the hearing by at least a week, and already giving strong indication that he sees no reason at all to rule against the constitutional right to demonstrate as long as the demonstration remains peaceful etc.

If anything, this seems to be a blow for Mr Li & Co, whose injunction was close to being ridiculed by the court, and won't be treated for at least another week.

I sincerely hope this pro-Li angle has nothing to do with the advertisement revenue the SCMP is getting from the full-page advertisements HIT has been putting out this week.
aplucky1
oh please let li ka s h i t win
he needs more money
scmpcuty
I don't get your "dealt a blow to striking dockers" line???? I had to reread several times. Whose side are you reporting from???
 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or