Police raids net dozens of triad suspects in Tuen Mun

PUBLISHED : Monday, 06 May, 2013, 1:23pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 29 August, 2013, 4:13am

The alleged leader of the Tuen Mun faction of the Sun Yee On triads and 18 of his henchmen were among 64 people arrested in a series of raids over the weekend, police say.

The arrest of the alleged gangster, She Pei, comes at the end of a six-month undercover police operation.

He is said to have held the rank of a "red-pole fighter" in triad society - a senior triad member who acts as an enforcer.

One of the locations raided was a pub in Tuen Mun controlled by the gang and used as its headquarters, said police.

"Intelligence indicates that the bar is their regular hang-out," an investigator said.

Police suspect it was used for selling drugs to youngsters.

Five girls under the legal age were picked up by police inside the bar and a small amount of illegal drugs, including cocaine and ketamine, was seized.

An assortment of weapons including knives, machetes and iron pipes were found hidden in a flower bed outside the bar.

Police believe they were for fights with rival gangs.

Police also closed an illegal gambling den in Tuen Mun controlled by the gang, whose main activities involved drug trafficking and running gambling dens, the investigator said.

In total, 39 men and 25 women were picked up during raids on more than 10 locations by more than 100 officers.

The suspects, aged 16 to 58, were arrested on suspicion of committing various offences including claiming to be a member of a triad society, possession of illegal drugs and operating illegal gambling establishments. "It is clear that the arrests have dealt a considerable blow to the triad syndicate in Tuen Mun," said Superintendent Kerry Carew of the New Territories North regional crime unit.

He said the raids had interrupted the gang's activities and disrupted their income sources.

The sting operation began after an undercover police agent successfully infiltrated the gang around six months ago, seeking information.

Last night the suspects were being held for questioning. None of them had been charged.