Janet Gilson

Bloodstains aroused policeman's suspicions over British woman's death on Lamma Island

Court hears how Briton Janet Gilson's body was found in Lamma Island home

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 12 June, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 12 June, 2013, 10:32am

Bloodstains on floor tiles raised a police inspector's suspicions when he searched the house belonging to the niece of retired British Salvation Army major Janet Gilson, a court heard yesterday.

Former police senior inspector Chung Shing-keung, now retired, went to the Lamma Island home of Gilson's niece, Julia, on March 19, 2011, after she called police about the stains.

On March 15, Julia had reported her aunt missing. Gilson, 64, from Essex, had been visiting her and her young daughter, and was staying with them in their home in Yung Shue Wan.

"The bloodstains on the tiles aroused my suspicion, and I instructed my officers to conduct a thorough search inside the flat, including underneath the sofa," Chung told the Court of First Instance.

Gilson's body was found when the officers lifted up the sofa, he said.

The woman's body was "concealed by a sofa" in Julia's home, prosecutor Audrey Campbell-Moffat SC told the jury on Monday.

Ahmed Fareed, 32, earlier pleaded not guilty to one count of murder. The man is Julia's former husband.

The court heard on Monday that the pair had married in June 2007, but separated in May 2010.

Meanwhile, police constable Wu Kim-wing told the court that after Gilson was reported missing, he was tasked with carrying out a search on Lamma Island with his police dog.

When the dog passed the sofa while searching Julia's home, it did not immediately pick up Gilson's scent, he said.

Campbell-Moffat earlier told the jury that Gilson's murder had taken place on March 15, 2011.

On Monday, Julia testified that on March 15, she received a text message from her aunt's mobile phone, saying she was travelling to Sok Kwu Wan and Aberdeen. The niece said she found it "strange" as Gilson did not send text messages to her family.

She reported Gilson missing after the woman failed to return home that night.