Teen in court over charge of burying boy, 6, alive
Prosecution says accused assaulted the child before putting him in a concrete drain
A 14-year-old boy appeared in juvenile court yesterday, charged with assaulting and burying a six-year-old boy in a drainage ditch.
The little boy, of Nepalese origin, was unconscious when his attacker laid him in the concrete gutter in Ferry Street, Yau Ma Tei, last Saturday.
When he was found 50 hours later, he was conscious but drenched by the rain.
The 14-year-old is also of Nepalese origin but was born in Hong Kong. He does not speak Cantonese.
His parents were present in Kowloon City Court yesterday.
Through a translator, the teenager said he understood that he was charged with false imprisonment. He did not enter a plea.
Magistrate Ronald Cheung Wai-tat refused the youth's application for bail, ordering him to be remanded in the Tuen Mun Children and Juvenile Home.
The case was adjourned to August 28 while the prosecution decides whether to lay further charges. The teen also faced another prosecution for stealing deodorant and chocolate from a Yau Ma Tei Wellcome supermarket on June 4.
He told police that he was stealing for fun and asked to be given a chance.
He pleaded not guilty to theft yesterday, and the case was adjourned to August 8.
The prosecution said that on June 29 the two boys had a dispute in a playground in Saigon Street, Yau Ma Tei. At 10pm, the teenager took the little boy to a spot in Ferry Street.
There, the teen allegedly assaulted the boy until he was unconscious.
He then carried the boy to a nearby concrete gutter. The ditch, which was behind some thick bushes, was about 30cm deep and 30cm wide.
The teen then allegedly removed the cement cover, put the unconscious boy in the ditch, put back the cover and left.
He was arrested on Monday, two days after the incident, and led police officers later that night to the ditch where police found the boy.
A 2.5-metre long wooden trolley was weighing down the cement cover. The child was conscious, but was wet and scared, the court heard.
He had been trapped in the space for about 50 hours without food or drink.