• Wed
  • Oct 1, 2014
  • Updated: 9:05pm
July 1 march
NewsHong Kong

'No need' to open lanes for July 1 marchers

Police say they had contingency plans for the July 1 protest but they weren't required

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 16 July, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Tuesday, 16 July, 2013, 5:16am

Police had a "contingency plan" to open all lanes on Hennessy Road to the July 1 protesters, but the responsible officer on site did not feel the need to do so, the police watchdog heard yesterday.

It was the latest development in the dispute between police and march organiser the Civil Human Rights Front, which has accused police of breaking an agreement to open a barricade near the Sogo department store to allow in more protesters if necessary. Police remained insistent yesterday that there was no such agreement but that it had contingency plans to open part of the eastbound lanes on Hennessy Road, or even adjacent Lockhart Road if those lanes were full.

These are contingency plans and the decision should be made by the acting officer on site. They did not feel there was a need to make such a decision … on the day

"These are contingency plans and the decision should be made by the acting officer on site," said Chief Superintendent Evelyn Lam Man-sai at a hearing of the Independent Police Complaints Council. "They did not feel there was a need to make such a decision … on the day," said Lam, of the police complaints and internal investigations branch.

She was speaking after council member Eric Cheung Tat-ming, who attended the pre-rally meeting, pointed out that such contingency plans had been mentioned. The police received one complaint from the public concerning the arrangement for Causeway Bay, Lam said.

Council chairman Jat Sew-tong had suggested the police consider opening all lanes of Hennessy Road at the start of the rally to avoid congestion.

Scuffles broke out between officers and marchers when some tried to cross into the eastbound lane of Hennessy Road near Sogo to join the pro-democracy march there, rather than at the starting point in Victoria Park. Lam said the barricade was necessary to stop protesters from jumping the queue, as requested by the front. "The organiser asked us to maintain order and stop people from joining the queue in the middle. This is why police were helping to direct people to Victoria Park."

Cheung said more information should have been provided to people accustomed to joining the queue there in previous years.

Meanwhile, 1,068 complaints against police were lodged this year - 70 fewer than a year ago.

 

Share

Related topics

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

This article is now closed to comments

daniel18
I wonder what will happen if police need not to participate in the July 1 next year as some extreme protesters claims that they possess right to the freedom of speech and assembly! They think they are the law and they can do whatever they want, or insulting and hitting the police should be legalized that day
 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or