Leung Chun-ying
POLITICS

C.Y. Leung vows justice for Manila bus hostage victims

Chief executive defends slow progress in talks over Manila victims

PUBLISHED : Monday, 19 August, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 19 August, 2013, 11:32am
 

The chief executive promised yesterday to use all means possible to fight for justice for victims of the Manila bus hostage tragedy almost three years ago.

Leung Chun-ying's second meet-the-public session, in Kwun Tong, was a much quieter affair than his first one last week, when he caused uproar in some quarters by expressing support for the police's handling of a protest in Mong Kok at which rival groups clashed over a teacher's verbal attack on officers.

This time he kept his opening remarks short and apolitical, simply addressing the district's opportunities and difficulties.

Pro-government allies were dominant in the audience of 280, with only a dozen people from the pro-democratic People Power managing to get in.

The event in Kwun Tong Kung Lok Government School was largely peaceful, although there were minor clashes between the two camps before Leung entered and at the end. Inquiries raised by the public yesterday mainly focused on local livelihood issues.

But Tse Chi-kin, brother of tour guide Masa Tse Ting-chunn who was killed in the hostage tragedy, questioned Leung on his progress in dealing with the aftermath of the shooting.

"Taiwan spent only three months to demand an official apology from the Philippines [for the fatal shooting of a Taiwanese fisherman]," Tse said. "Why has the Hong Kong government failed to do so after three whole years?"

Later, Democrat Donna Yau Yuet-wah echoed Tse in saying Leung failed to turn his words and promises into action.

Leung said he would never forget the tragedy and vowed to fight for justice for the victims and their relatives.

"The government has met the Philippine consulate 23 times since 2012 and the latest meeting took place just last Monday," Leung said.

Tse is seeking a formal apology and compensation from Manila over the deaths of his brother and seven Hong Kong tourists, who died when their bus was hijacked by disgruntled former policeman Rolando Mendoza.

Share

 

Send to a friend

To forward this article using your default email client (e.g. Outlook), click here.

Enter multiple addresses separated by commas(,)

Related topics

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive