• Fri
  • Nov 28, 2014
  • Updated: 12:05pm
NewsHong Kong
MANILA BUS TRAGEDY

Philippines may meet with families of bus tragedy victims

PUBLISHED : Sunday, 06 October, 2013, 12:00am
UPDATED : Sunday, 06 October, 2013, 3:55am

The Philippine foreign secretary has pledged that his department will try to arrange a meeting between the country's top diplomat in Hong Kong and families of the victims of the Manila hostage crisis three years ago.

Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario made the vow to commerce minister Greg So Kam-leung on the sidelines of the Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation forum summit in Bali.

Seven Hong Kong tourists and their guide were killed and several others injured when a fired Manila policeman took them hostage at gunpoint aboard their tour bus in the Philippine capital. A bungled rescue in Manila's Rizal Park saw the gunman, Rolando Mendoza, shot dead by police.

The Philippine government has not until now been responsive to the demands of the victims' families and survivors for a formal apology and compensation or punishment for the officials responsible. They have rejected an apology from Manila's new mayor, Joseph Estrada, saying it was insincere.

So said yesterday he had reiterated the families' requests. "I also told him [del Rosario] that this is something that the people of Hong Kong care about quite dearly.

"At my urging, he indicated that he would try his best to contact his colleagues to arrange for this one-time meeting between the families of the victims and the consul general."

So said he hoped Manila would arrange such a meeting as soon as possible.

Tse Chi-kin, whose younger brother Masa Tse Ting-chunn was killed, said it was the first time since the tragedy that the Hong Kong government's efforts had actually achieved something. "But we need to see whom the Philippine government will send, whether it is someone whom we could really talk to or just a messenger."

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
3

This article is now closed to comments

carmeledwin
I will not trust the Foreign Minister of the Philippines. Was it not the Former Minister who promised our Finance Secretary last year during the APAC Meeting that there will be a meeting between Senior Filipino Officers meeting up with the victims and survivors? Also did their arrogant President even bother to confirm whether he will meet up with our Mr. C.Y. Leung yet? Not yet, according to the news of this morning.
lokuohsiung
I'm confused. Did President Aquino apologize to the survivors and families of the victims? If so, when? The Philippine press and various members of their government seem quite certain that an apology was given, but I cannot find any record of it.
newyorkgirl
"Pledged", "vow", "try his best", sound like they're backtracking before they departed Bali.

Login

SCMP.com Account

or