Two more appear in Fanling Court over kidnap of Indian businessman
Two more men accused of kidnapping three visiting Indian businessmen appeared in Fanling Court yesterday.
Nasir Mahmood, 39, and Mohammad Asif, 33, each entered no plea to one count of kidnapping. The charge alleges that the men, along with two others, falsely detained Manmohan Singh Mangat, Satwinder Singh and Gurinder Singh Gill for ransom between October 25 and 28.
Magistrate Ivy Chui Yee-mei adjourned the hearing until November 7, when Mahmood and Asif - both Hong Kong residents of Pakistani descent - are expected to appear with co-defendants Karmjit Singh and Mohammad Rafiq.
Mahmood was remanded to prison, while Asif was remanded in police custody. Chui rejected Asif's argument that he be remanded in Correctional Services custody, not in a police cell, because the latter would restrict his ability to practice his religion, which he did not reveal. Chui said the police must have a way to provide appropriate food.
The court was told a Hong Kong man approached Indian businessman Mangat and offered to sell him a piece of land for HK$14 million. But Mangat was required to come to Hong Kong to complete the deal.
Mangat, with banker Satwinder Singh and lawyer Gurinder Singh Gill, arrived in Hong Kong on October 25. They were met at Hong Kong International Airport and led to a white van.
The court heard the three Indian men were taken to a recycling yard in Sha Tau Kok, held there and told to contact their families to seek HK$19 million in ransom. Their families alerted the Indian authorities, who in turn told Hong Kong police. The trio were released on October 28.
Karmjit Singh and Rafiq appeared in court on kidnapping charges last week and were remanded in custody.