Filipinos set to snub Hong Kong after visa threat in Manila hostage row
Threat to scrap visa-free access to Hong Kong brings a swift response on social media, with many saying they will turn their backs on city
Alan Robles in Manila
Filipinos have reacted with bitterness to the decision by Hong Kong lawmakers to push for the scrapping of their visa-free trips to the city and are threatening to take their cash elsewhere.
Jim Paredes, a popular songwriter and performer, posted on Facebook: "OK Hong Kong, it's been nice knowing you. But you will miss us more than we will miss you."
And on Twitter, user @vita_bella88 said: "Dear HK, see if we care. You need us more than we need you. Thank us for your economy. Good riddance."
The comments came after Legco passed a non-binding motion last week to press the government to impose sanctions on Manila and cancel visa-free access for Filipinos.
It followed Manila's failure to meet the demands of survivors and the families of victims of the hostage crisis three years ago.
Eight Hongkongers were shot dead by sacked Manila police officer Rolando Mendoza and seven injured in the bus siege and botched rescue attempt.
Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying had previously said he would impose sanctions if the Philippines failed to apologise and give compensation. The families and survivors also want to see the officials responsible punished and tourist safety improved in the Philippine capital.
But the lawmakers' call for sanctions has been met with sadness and resentment.
"It's time to move on from our HK obsession," Mavie Ungco posted on Facebook yesterday.
A young professional, she and her husband - a chef/restaurateur - have visited Hong Kong at least twice a year since 2009.
"We go there to shop, eat and unwind," she told the Sunday Morning Post. Ungco said that every time she and her family visited "we spend a considerable amount. We stay anywhere from three to five days. We call it the Land of Everyday Shopping". But she said a visa requirement would "definitely discourage" her family from visiting.
"We like to go to Hong Kong, but if they don't want our business we'll take it elsewhere."
Gabe Mercado, a performer and training consultant, said on Facebook: "While Hong Kong has always been the favourite short haul vacation destination for Filipinos, most of us will start looking at Singapore and Bangkok more seriously, now that there is this de facto ban on us."
Mercado posted Hong Kong Tourism Board figures showing that from January to September of this year there were 517,562 visitors from the Philippines.
He noted: "Assume that 100,000 more will come and visit between now and the end of the year and you have [about] 617,000 [visitors]."
He estimated that if every Filipino visitor spent an "extremely low average" of US$200, that would come to US$123.4 million.
He warned: "Tourist income could be in danger now that Filipinos will be needing visas."
Other reactions to the proposed visa requirement have been stronger. A Filipino with the account @crustedsauce tweeted: "Why dream about Hong Kong? It is an ugly place without civilisation and culture."
And a Facebook user, Ces Clemente-Ocampo, commented: "They just cut off their nose to spite their face. We will simply take our retail dollars elsewhere."