Mum who said baby was abducted from stroller quizzed over death

Woman told police she threw her daughter's body into a bin after finding her dead in bed

PUBLISHED : Monday, 02 December, 2013, 7:24pm
UPDATED : Tuesday, 03 December, 2013, 8:08am

An unmarried mother who claimed her six-month-old daughter was abducted from a stroller in Kowloon City nine days ago has been arrested over the death of the baby.

The 31-year-old is being held on suspicion of preventing burial of the body of Yue Hoi-ching.

The dramatic twist to the case came while she was being questioned by police investigating the case at the Kowloon West regional crime unit headquarters in Kowloon City yesterday.

"The woman told our officers that in the middle of November she awoke at home and found her daughter not crying and showing no signs of life," a police officer said. The woman told them she suspected the baby had suffocated.

"She claimed she threw the body into a rubbish bin," the officer said. Investigators are now trying to establish where rubbish from the area was dumped so they can carry out a search.

The woman said she panicked and invented the abduction story because she did not know how to tell the baby's father and her relatives about the death, the officer said.

Early today police questioning her about her claim took her, hooded and chained, to her home in San Po Kong Mansion, Choi Hung Road, San Po Kong, in connection with the investigation, after officers and government laboratory staff had finished gathering evidence there.

On November 23, police received a report saying a baby had been abducted outside Carpenter Road Park in Kowloon City.

The mother claimed she was giving directions to a middle-aged woman looking for Wong Tai Sin MTR station when a man hurried past. She said she continued for a while before realising her daughter had been snatched.

About 45 minutes before she reported the abduction, the woman was captured on a security camera pushing a stroller from San Po Kong Mansion. But the top was down and there was no baby in it. Police said the camera had not shown the child for several days before the report.