• Tue
  • Jul 22, 2014
  • Updated: 9:36pm
NewsHong Kong
CRIME

Luxury Stanley flats raided in latest burglaries

PUBLISHED : Friday, 03 January, 2014, 3:59am
UPDATED : Friday, 03 January, 2014, 3:59am

Two flats in a luxury building in Stanley have been burgled, with HK$94,000 in cash and valuables taken.

The break-ins were discovered at about 6am when a 45-year-old expatriate man returned to his fifth-floor flat of the low-rise block at 19 Tai Tam Road after returning from overseas with his family.

During inquiries, police found another apartment in the same building, occupied by a 58-year-old expatriate man, had been burgled and two watches worth HK$10,000 stolen. A window had been prised open.

In the first case, the occupant returned home, found a window forced, the flat ransacked and a safe pried open, police said. Some HK$84,000 in cash was stolen as well as jewellery.

A foreign domestic helper was understood to have been in the flat when her employer and his family were out of town.

Detectives checked security-camera images from the building in an attempt to identify the burglars and collected evidence including fingerprints at the scene.

The Western District crime squad is investigating. No one had been arrested last night.

The building is owned by Stephen Yow Mok-shing and Wayne Yow Ying-cheong through Dragon Sun Enterprises Limited.

Stephen Yow was at the centre of the King Yin Lei controversy in 2007, when he sold the historic mansion on Stubbs Road and the new owner later defaced it in an apparent effort to sidestep obstacles to its demolition.

The mansion, built in 1937 and bought by Yow in 1978, is said to be a rare surviving example of Chinese Renaissance style.

Subsequently, the government came up with a land exchange deal with the new owner to take over its management and open it to the public occasionally.

There have been a series of burglaries in the city over the festive season. Five cases were reported on Christmas night, with losses ranging from HK$45,000 to HK$1.6 million in cash and valuables. Police are seeking two men aged about 30 after a man, 62, found the door to his home in Red Hill Road, Stanley, forced open. Some HK$1.6 million of watches, jewellery and cash were stolen.

Police recorded 2,962 burglary reports in Hong Kong in the first 10 months of this year, down 16.4 per cent from 3,542 in the same period a year earlier.

Additional reporting by Ng Kang-chung

 

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or