• Fri
  • Jul 25, 2014
  • Updated: 5:31am
NewsHong Kong
ROAD ACCIDENTS

Schoolboy, 7, critical after being hit and dragged for 20 metres by minibus

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 09 January, 2014, 6:18pm
UPDATED : Thursday, 09 January, 2014, 6:26pm
 

A seven-year-old schoolboy is fighting for his life in hospital after being hit and dragged by a minibus in Sha Tin on Thursday morning.

A police officer said the boy suffered life-threatening injuries and was receiving surgery in Prince of Wales Hospital as of 4pm.

The boy’s 10-year-old sister, who was walking with him to a bus stop before the accident happened a little after 7.30am, was reportedly in shock. She saw her brother trapped under the vehicle dragged for a few metres after being hit, according to police.

“His face collided with the road while he was being dragged by the vehicle along the carriageway,” the officer said. “The left part of his face is seriously injured and probably disfigured.”

Police arrested the 61-year-old minibus driver on suspicion of dangerous driving, causing grievous bodily harm. As of Thursday evening, the driver was released on bail after being held for questioning, though he was not charged. He is required to report to police next month.

The seven-year-old boy, a Primary Two student at Salvation Army Tin Ka Ping School, was walking with his sister from their home in Mei Tin Estate. The children were usually accompanied to school by their mother, but on that day she had to stay at home to look after her newborn.

Once outside the estate, the boy ran off the sidewalk and across Heung Fan Liu Street, when the green-topped minibus came and, failing to brake in time, hit him.

“The boy was trapped under the minibus and his schoolbag was entangled with something under the vehicle. He was dragged for about 20 metres before it came to a stop,” the officer said.

“He was conscious while being freed by firefighters. But he fell into coma in hospital” and is now in critical condition, the officer said.

Another police officer noted there were no pedestrian-crossing facilities in the area, adding that police would look into the matter and co-ordinate with concerned government departments.

The minibus was towed to a government vehicle plant in Tuen Mun for inspection. The New Territories South traffic unit is investigating the case.

Police figures shows 115 people died in 113 traffic accidents last year, slightly down from 120 deaths in 116 traffic accidents in 2012.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

3

This article is now closed to comments

pragmatist
No motor vehicles respect pedestrians and zebra crossing. This is the case even at HKUST campus in clear water bay - so many young students and staff children - vehicles speed around.
Greenwash
When will the government properly train and re-train minibus, bus, and taxi drivers? Many of these drivers are unfit to drive.
don67
This accident is terrible, but not unexpected. I live nearby and residents have been trying to get the government to install crossings at nearby roads. It will probably happen now, it's just a shame it took a serious accident to cajole officials into action.
 
 
 
 
 

Login

SCMP.com Account

or