Judge rejects claim attacker hit wrong victim

Four convicted after umbrella assault on late billionaire's nephew in Nina Tower car park

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 05 February, 2014, 4:04am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 05 February, 2014, 5:07am

A man who used an umbrella to bash the nephew of late billionaire Nina Wang Kung Yu-sum claimed yesterday he had hit the wrong man.

Pakistani Abbas Yasir, 32, told the District Court he had mistaken businessman Kung Ho, 36, as the driver of a car that had almost hit him a few days earlier. He said the driver had scolded him and he wanted to take revenge.

Judge David Dufton rejected Yasir's explanation, saying evidence showed Kung walked towards Yasir, who should have been able to see his face clearly.

Pleading guilty to one charge of wounding with intent, Yasir insisted he acted alone after being granted dispensation to contest that part of the police case.

But Dufton convicted Malik Zohaib Naeem, 27, Iqbal Pervaiz, 25, and Ravi Dass, 28, who were also arrested at the scene and had pleaded not guilty to the same charge. He ruled they had participated in the attack.

The court heard the four defendants had loitered in the car park of Nina Tower in Tsuen Wan on June 7 last year. When Kung walked into the lift lobby with his wife, they attacked him.

The Chinachem Group executive told the court earlier that he saw Yasir attack him with the umbrella and felt more than one person punch him, but he could not identify the other attackers.

Plain-clothes police subdued the four at the scene. Kung suffered injuries to his face and the right side of his mouth.

Police officers who testified said they had kept Nina Tower under surveillance for some time and saw Yasir and Naeem walking around the area continuously for two days before the attack. Pervaiz was with them on the day before the incident.

Although Kung and other witnesses could not identify who had also punched Kung, the judge found the other three defendants had encouraged and supported the crime.

The evidence and security camera footage were strong enough to convict all defendants, he said.

All four said they were asylum seekers who came to Hong Kong between 2002 and 2010.