Ip Man takes on Ip Man for best actor at Hong Kong Film Awards
Leung and Wong nominated for their portrayals of the kung fu master…in two different films
Ip Man versus Ip Man? It sounds like the most unlikely of battles, but that's exactly the scenario that will play out at the Hong Kong Film Awards after two actors who played the kung fu master in different films were both nominated for best actor.
Tony Leung Chiu-wai was nominated for Wong Kar-wai's hit The Grandmaster, while Anthony Wong Chau-sang gained a nod for his performance in Ip Man - The Final Fight.
The Grandmaster received 14 nominations, the most of any movie. It was also nominated for best film and director, as was Dante Lam Chiu-yin's boxing-themed Unbeatable, which won 11 nominations.
Anthony Wong expressed surprise after the nominations were revealed yesterday.
"Finally I get a nomination. If I didn't, I would have stopped acting in movies," said the man who received a best actor award for 1998's Beast Cops.
"Of course I am not confident of winning the award. I haven't even been nominated for a while. My competitors are strong."
His rival Leung has won the award five times.
The other best actor nominations were Louis Koo Tin-lok and Sean Lau Ching-wan, both for police drama The White Storm, and Nick Cheung Ka-fai, who underwent a hellish training regime to star in Unbeatable.
Zhang Ziyi was recognised for her work in The Grandmaster with a best actress nomination, as was Tang Wei for her role in the romantic comedy Finding Mr Right.
Sammi Cheng Sau-man, for Blind Detective, and Nina Paw Hee-ching, for the unsettling horror film Rigor Mortis, were also nominated. Twenty-year-old newcomer Cherry Ngan Cheuk-ling, who played a dancer in The Way We Dance, was a surprise choice as the final nominee.
Miriam Yeung Chin-wah, last year's best actress, said it was hard to pick her favourite best actor contender.
"Anthony is so good. He doesn't need awards for self recognition," she said.
The Hong Kong Film Awards take place on April 13.
List of Hong Kong Film Awards nominations
- The Grandmaster
- Journey to the West: Conquering the Demons
- The Way We Dance
- The White Storm
- Wong Kar-wai (The Grandmaster)
- Johnnie To Kei-fung (Drug War)
- Benny Chan Muk-sing (The White Storm)
- Derek Kwok Tsz-kin (As the Light Goes Out)
- Dante Lam Chiu-yin (Unbeatable)
- Tony Leung Chiu-wai (The Grandmaster)
- Louis Koo Tin-lok (The White Storm)
- Sean Lau Ching-wan (The White Storm)
- Anthony Wong Chau-sang (Ip Man - the Final Fight)
- Nick Cheung Ka-fai (Unbeatable)
- Zhang Ziyi (The Grandmaster)
- Tang Wei (Finding Mr. Right)
- Cherry Ngan Cheuk-ling (The Way We Dance)
- Sammi Cheng Sau-man (Blind Detective)
- Nina Paw Hee-ching (Rigor Mortis)
- Zou Jingzhi, Xu Haofeng, Wong Kar-wai (The Grandmaster)
- Zhou Zhiyong, Zhang Ji, Aubrey Lam (American Dreams In China)
- Xue Xiaolu (Finding Mr. Right)
- Wai Ka-fai, Yau Nai-hoi, Ryker Chan, Yu Xi (Blind Detective)
- Jack Ng, Fung Chi-fung, Dante Lam Chiu-yin (Unbeatable)