Democrat fails to overturn vote that granted HK$150,000 to a pro-Beijing group for promoting Basic Law

Hui contested grant of HK$150,000 to Beijing loyalist group for promoting Basic Law

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 12 March, 2014, 4:07am
UPDATED : Wednesday, 12 March, 2014, 4:37am

A Democrat ejected from a district council meeting before he had a chance to vote on a HK$150,000 grant to a Beijing-loyalist group has failed to have the vote overturned.

Ted Hui Chi-fung was carried out by police from a meeting of the Central and Western District Council's working group on civic education last Thursday after other councillors objected to his assistant filming the meeting.

Hui had said the meeting, which was discussing the distribution of funds to promote the Basic Law, should have been open to the public.

At a meeting of the same group yesterday, Hui sought to have the vote revoked in the interests of "procedural justice".

"I didn't have the chance to object to the funding application as I was removed by the police," he said.

Hui was contesting a decision by the group to award HK$150,000 to the pro-Beijing Hong Kong Island Federation's Central and Western Committee of the Regions.

The money was part of HK$250,000 allocated by the government to the council for promoting the mini-constitution.

The grant was approved after Hui, his party colleagues and three journalists were ordered out by group chairman Sidney Lee Chi-hang. Police removed Hui when he refused to go.

The Democratic Party has said it will seek a judicial review.

At yesterday's meeting, which was open to the public, Hui accused group members of not declaring their interests and links to the Hong Kong Island Federation before the motion was put to a vote. His call for the group to revisit the application was rejected by other members, most from the pro-establishment camp.

Lee promised to advise the council's financial committee to call a special meeting.

Hui welcomed the arrangement but still demanded an explanation from Lee as to why last week's meeting was closed. "Given the nature of the two meetings is the same, why would he decide to open only the meeting today to the public?" he asked.

Lee refused to accept media enquiries about his handling of the meeting last week.

Jackie Cheung Yick-hung, a group member, said he declared his interests in the last meeting.