• Sun
  • Dec 21, 2014
  • Updated: 5:14pm
NewsHong Kong

Joseph Estrada's son takes Rolls-Royce 'selfie' as he travels to Hong Kong hostage crisis talks

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 23 April, 2014, 12:26pm
UPDATED : Wednesday, 23 April, 2014, 4:20pm
 

As Manila's Mayor Joseph Estrada embarks upon a delicate mission to heal the rift between Hong Kong and the Philippines over the tragic 2010 bus hostage incident, his son Juan Emilio 'Jake' Ejercito, appeared to be using the diplomatic trip to have a whale of a time in the city.

Yesterday, as he travelled with his father in a Rolls-Royce, the 24-year-old took the opportunity to post a 'selfie' on Instagram, that showed his somewhat more serious father in the background.

He later took the time to post on his Twitter account @unoemilio "Anyone in HK right now? Hit me up!"

Although his light-hearted posts may stir feelings that he is not taking the trip seriously, Jake has had a hand in his father's political dealings before.

On his blog unoemilio.com he states that he is "currently a full-time student of Politics with Business Management in London and Singapore".

He actively campaigned for Estrada in his mayoral bid last year, writing on his blog: "I grew up spending a number of summers campaigning for my dad and other relatives and this one was the toughest. But most importantly, this campaign gave me more chances to bond with the fathership who was too busy to always be there when I was a kid."

Jake is is one of Estrada's nine children. It was the scandal over a mansion that Estrada was building for former actress Laarni Enriquez and their kids Jake, Jerika and Jacob which triggered his ouster from the presidency in 2001.

Of that time, Jake wrote on his blog that: “Everything but the kitchen sink has been thrown at my dad to the point it’s surprising they didn’t blame him for Michael Jackson’s death. But his election as the new mayor of Manila says a lot about what people think about him and about such accusations.”

Estrada and a delegation of high-ranking officials are today expected to meet with Hong Kong government officials in an effort to find a solution to the bus hostage crisis that left seven tourists from Hong Kong and their guide dead, and seven more injured.

Families affected by the events of August 23, 2010, when they were gunned down by a sacked policeman who laid siege to their tour bus, have repeatedly made four demands: an apology, compensation, punishment of the officials responsible and improved tourist safety.

Before taking off from Manila, Estrada - who was accompanied by city councillor Bernardito Ang - told a Philippine news station that he would offer an apology for the "unfortunate incident" and help save the jobs of 160,000 Filipinos in the city.

Share

For unlimited access to:

SCMP.com SCMP Tablet Edition SCMP Mobile Edition 10-year news archive
 
 

 

 
 
 
 
 
22

This article is now closed to comments

jdemocrates
They all belong to one family of thieves who likes to plunder people's money. If they were citizens of china their heads including their mistresses' would have been long decapitated thrown into crocodile farms for meals.
OldPeak Toad
and, kiddo, should you notice compatriot "helpers" in town, make sure they get enough time to admire and enjoy your Roller - they paid for it!
skywalker
Dear SCMP. Thank you very much for this very informative and very important article. It helps me very much understanding what kind of people these politicians from the Philippines are. Without this precious information I would have truly believed that the Mayor of Manila only intended to come to Hong Kong to offer an apology for what his country did to Hong Kong almost 4 years ago. Now I know what is real intentions are. Thank you so much!
daily
As if the Philippines aren't embarrassed enough, now this clown comes along...........
andreaswagner
Good to see he has a good time. And why not? When I travel to HK, I also make sure I have a good time. It's called enjoying life:)
scmp04
Bright Kid (?)….lets hope he never wins public office.
skywalker
I am just wondering what the self-righteous Hong Kong Government would have done if this deal would not have come together? Expelling the 160,000 maids from the Philippines? Or asking their employers to torture them?
daily
If HK thought that these Filipinos (Estrada and the idiot kid) sincerely came to HK to apologize, then we must be just as stupid and dumb as these Filipino politicians.............Estrada is only here (on their taxpayer's money) to gain some political points and that's all...............he has no intention of delivering a meaningful apology whatsoever.
Oh, but he does want to hand out some more money to the victim's family............almost 4 years after the fact................They should have some pride and not accept such dirty money from these politicians.
andreaswagner
He can't be worse than the clown mayor of HK, CY "Dog Balls" Leung:)
5357d03f-b798-4337-a284-08ee0a3209ca
i know this person you're calling kiddo, idiot etc. dont worry its not his first time to ride a rolls royce. his family might be corrupt but don't worry he came from a well off clan so not all the money they use to splurge came from the filipino tax payers. he just enjoy takin selfie photos so dont make a big issue out of it. this person u call a kiddo idiot comes to hk very often just to have breakfast. and im sure with all the places/countries he have visited, im sure hk is the least of his favourite. we just dont have a choice, hk is the primary stopover for connecting flights when we travel elsewhere in the world. dont u guys have more meaningful and senseful news to post? you guys should know that filipinos are happy people thats why we like taking selfies. unlike hongkongers whose heart is full of anger, hatred and madness...
u can check his instagram @unoemilio
i just hope whoever wrote this should have not made this a big issue and have written something else maybe like the issues that HK has.

Pages

Login

SCMP.com Account

or